Our research is situated in the following areas :
- Software for mobile, ubiquitous and embedded system architectures:
Mobile, ubiquitous and wearable computing, wireless embedded systems, multisensor
environments, internet appliances, remote viewing and control - focusing on
multi-user environments and their modes of interaction, and group/workspace
- Coordination and interaction: Coordination models and language, formal
methods, distributed computing and communication models.
- Development of distributed and embedded system software: Distributed
software and algorithms (specification, correctness, termination, complexity
analysis), programming paradigms (OO distributed software models), component
technologies/frameworks, embedded and real-time software, data structures,
development environments, planning and realization of IT-projects.
- Wireless communication systems and communication software: Wireless
and mobile communication systems, broadband communication, network architectures
(backbone- and access networks, transport nets, LANs), network protocols for
wireless communication (IP and MobileIP networks).
- Quality of Service Management and performance analysis: Qualitative
and quantitative process models (stochastic process models, nets, stochastic
process algebra, recurrence models, time series models, self similarity),
QoS management systems, adaptive multimedia systems, network traffic modelling,
user interaction modeling, proactive performance tuning.
- Distributed interactive (multiuser) simulation: parallel/distributed
discrete event simulation (generating models, experimental design, verification,
validation, and confidence analysis, world views), distributed interactive
simulation, web-based simulation, agent-based simulation, OO simulation, real-time
simulation, simulation-aided multi-user environments.
Our application oriented research is related to the following topics:
- Context Computing: Incorporation of non-stanard I/O devices for proactive,
situation dependent behavior enabling implicit interaction with networked
- Distributed multi-user environments: base technologies to support
virtual organisations (mobile virtual teams, virtual companies), innovative
communication, information and collaboration techniques: Methods, infrastructure
and systems for efficient sharing of tasks among geographically dislocated
members of teams (dealing with temporal, geographic and mobility barriers).
E.g. Groupware, distributed business process management systems, applications
to support mobile virtual teams, multimedia-based virtual meeting rooms etc.
- Handheld, PDA and Wearable Computing solutions: Integration in enterprise
information systems, team awareness systems, workspace awareness systems,
any-time any-place coordination, context-sensitive functionality ('workspace
devices'), mobility of devices, users and virtual workspaces.
- Multisensor and immersive environments: Post-WIMP interfaces, position
and movement tracking, non-intrusive gathering, filtering and distribution
of awareness information, remote view and control applications, telepresence,
multiuser virtual/augmented reality.
- Global networks and WWW opportunities for distributed multi-user
solutions; core technologies for global networks and their application in
commercial, industrial and organizational daily use: Languages and frameworks
(Java, XML, XSLT, RDF, embedded Java, RT-Java, SMIL, MPEG, JMF etc.), web
meta data and information retrieval (document management, database integration,
search engines etc.) "Web collaboration", virtual documents, hypertext
systems and agent systems. Interconnectivity & interoperability, network
computing, client/server architectures, internet technologies (XML, Java,
WAP), device-independent e-Services, real-time multimedia applications like
WWW based teaching and learning, collaboration over global networks.
- Wireless and ad-hoc networks: Community WLAN and PAN technologies
that are globally used for information sharing, communication and collaboration.
System integration, content development, database-interfaces, authentication,
cross-platform application development, multimedia applications, collaboration
- Distributed software systems enabling dislocated cooperative work.
Integration of internet- and intranettechnologies, real-time systems, CSCW
tools, telepresence tools, multiuser interaction software and www based workflow