Subliminal Display Overlay Driver
Bakk-/Masterarbeit vom 13. Dezember 2013; offen
Problem definition, Approach:
(Visual) information overload is a topic of increasing importance. In this thesis, the influence of subliminal information transmission should be investigated
Information, if displayed/flashed for only very short time (< 20ms; =subliminal) cannot be „seen" by the eye, but is recognized by (part of) the brain
To study this effect, a interface is required allowing for overlaying different types of information to normal screen contents (Webbrowser, Email-client, Word/Excel), and for measuring differences n their use with/without subliminal information
- A tool acting as kind of plugin allowing to define content (text, basic structures, photos), overlay it to normal screen content, and record differences in person behavior (keystrokes, reading behavior in online newspapers, questionnaire about content they can remember...)
- Addressed display types: Computer screen, large (e.g. 46") display, iPad, etc.
- Interest in software/prototype development (Java, C/C++/C#)
- excellent programming skills in OpenGL (shader programming, multitextures) required
- Good command of English (understanding of related work; Thesis is preferred written in English)
- Typesetting using LaTeX (--> Miktex, TeXnicCenter) + BibTeX (-->Jabref)
- Start: flexible, as of now
- Estimated completion date: within 12 months
[DelCul2007] Del Cul A, Baillet S, Dehaene S, 2007 Brain Dynamics Underlying the Nonlinear Threshold for Access to Consciousness. PLoS Biol 5(10): e260. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0050260.
[Rongey2006] Rongey, M.D.: The effect of visual subliminal messages on viewers' color choice, Technical Report S0313, California State Sci-ence Fair (CSSF), Forest Charter School, Nevada City (April 2006).
[ISO26022] Road vehicles. Ergonomic aspects of transport information and control systems. Simulated lane change test to assess in-vehicle secondary task demand (2010). British Standards Institution, ISO 26022.
[Dobson2009] Handbook of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies, Third Edition (Hardcover), Keith S. Dobson PhD (Editor), The Guilford Press; Third edition (November 12, 2009), 481 pages, ISBN-13: 978-1606234372.
Contact: Andreas Riener