Scent/Flavor Stimulation while Driving
Bakk-/Masterarbeit vom 10. Oktober 2011; offen
Problem definition, Approach:
Driving a car is dynamic adaptation task; "driving performance" is massively influenced by a driver's emotional state
Shift in (emotional) driver state is achievable by fragrance based stimulation, e.g.
scent of lavender = relaxing
peppermint = stimulation, arousing, "active"
- Experimental setting (user study)
measure the influence of different scents on driving performance (reaction time, optimum trace) or physiologic conditions (study ECG/HRV/autochronic image)
application of Daimler lane change task (LCT), steering wheel/pedals; shaded virtual cabin
dispense scents in the shaded cabin, record driving trajectories
evaluate, interpret potential/influence of fragrances
- Different driving behavior on peppermint as compared to lavender dispersion
- Influence of scent on tracking, e.g. cut corners on peppermint or fewer brakings on lavender
- Interest in software/prototype development (Java, C/C++/C#)
- User Study: Setup and carry out experiments
- Good command of English (understanding of related work; Thesis is preferred written in English)
- Typesetting using LaTeX (--> Miktex, TeXnicCenter) + BibTeX (-->Jabref)
- Start: flexible, as of now
- Estimated completion date: within 12 months
[DelCul2007] Del Cul A, Baillet S, Dehaene S, 2007 Brain Dynamics Underlying the Nonlinear Threshold for Access to Consciousness. PLoS Biol 5(10): e260. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0050260.
[Rauden2000] Raudenbush, B.: The effects of odors on objective and subjective measures of physical performance. The Aroma-Chology Review IX(1) (2000).
[Kecklung2007] G. Kecklund, T. Akerstedt, D. Sandberg, M. Wahde, T. Dukic, A. Anund, and M. Hjalmdahl. State of the art review of driver sleepiness. Deliverable 1.1, Intelligent Vehicle Safety Systems (IVSS) program project, April 2007. [Online]. last retrieved January 23, 2011. http//www.vti.se/11934.epibrw.
[Renault2009] RaphaŽlle Gome, Renault and Biotherm present ZOE Z.E. - The first 100% electric "spa" concept car", Renault, France, 2009, online available www.media.renault.com
Contact: Andreas Riener