Our research is situated in the following areas :
- Software for mobile, ubiquitous and embedded system architectures: Mobile, ubiquitous and wearable computing, wireless embedded systems, multisensor environments, internet appliances, remote viewing and control - focusing on multi-user environments and their modes of interaction, and group/workspace awareness.
- Coordination and interaction: Coordination models and language, formal methods, distributed computing and communication models.
- Development of distributed and embedded system software: Distributed software and algorithms (specification, correctness, termination, complexity analysis), programming paradigms (OO distributed software models), component technologies/frameworks, embedded and real-time software, data structures, development environments, planning and realization of IT-projects.
- Wireless communication systems and communication software: Wireless and mobile communication systems, broadband communication, network architectures (backbone- and access networks, transport nets, LANs), network protocols for wireless communication (IP and MobileIP networks).
- Quality of Service Management and performance analysis: Qualitative and quantitative process models (stochastic process models, nets, stochastic process algebra, recurrence models, time series models, self similarity), QoS management systems, adaptive multimedia systems, network traffic modelling, user interaction modeling, proactive performance tuning.
- Distributed interactive (multiuser) simulation: parallel/distributed discrete event simulation (generating models, experimental design, verification, validation, and confidence analysis, world views), distributed interactive simulation, web-based simulation, agent-based simulation, OO simulation, real-time simulation, simulation-aided multi-user environments.
Our application oriented research is related to the following topics:
- Context Computing: Incorporation of non-stanard I/O devices for proactive, situation dependent behavior enabling implicit interaction with networked devices.
- Distributed multi-user environments: base technologies to support virtual organisations (mobile virtual teams, virtual companies), innovative communication, information and collaboration techniques: Methods, infrastructure and systems for efficient sharing of tasks among geographically dislocated members of teams (dealing with temporal, geographic and mobility barriers). E.g. Groupware, distributed business process management systems, applications to support mobile virtual teams, multimedia-based virtual meeting rooms etc.
- Handheld, PDA and Wearable Computing solutions: Integration in enterprise information systems, team awareness systems, workspace awareness systems, any-time any-place coordination, context-sensitive functionality ('workspace devices'), mobility of devices, users and virtual workspaces.
- Multisensor and immersive environments: Post-WIMP interfaces, position and movement tracking, non-intrusive gathering, filtering and distribution of awareness information, remote view and control applications, telepresence, multiuser virtual/augmented reality.
- Global networks and WWW opportunities for distributed multi-user solutions; core technologies for global networks and their application in commercial, industrial and organizational daily use: Languages and frameworks (Java, XML, XSLT, RDF, embedded Java, RT-Java, SMIL, MPEG, JMF etc.), web meta data and information retrieval (document management, database integration, search engines etc.) "Web collaboration", virtual documents, hypertext systems and agent systems. Interconnectivity & interoperability, network computing, client/server architectures, internet technologies (XML, Java, WAP), device-independent e-Services, real-time multimedia applications like WWW based teaching and learning, collaboration over global networks.
- Wireless and ad-hoc networks: Community WLAN and PAN technologies that are globally used for information sharing, communication and collaboration. System integration, content development, database-interfaces, authentication, cross-platform application development, multimedia applications, collaboration in intranetworks.
- Distributed software systems enabling dislocated cooperative work. Integration of internet- and intranettechnologies, real-time systems, CSCW tools, telepresence tools, multiuser interaction software and www based workflow management systems.